post-title Tarta de Alcachofas
- Servings- 6 people
- Preparation Time- 2 hours
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 2/4 cup of butter (butter needs to be cold and diced)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 3 egg yolks ¾ cup of cold water.
- 12 whole artichokes hearts (prepare the artichoke hearts by cooking)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 3 additional tablespoons of butter (not cold)
- ½ cup of onion (onion should be prepared by chopping it finely)
- 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese
- 2 cups of milk
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper (to be used to taste)
Preparation Instructions for the Mass:
- In a medium size bowl combine the flour, butter and olive oil along with the salt. Stir all the content. Then add cold water and mix until the contents become doughy. Then stick the dough in the refridgerator for 130 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out into a rectangle. Then prick the center with a fork and cover it with tin foil
- Bake the dough in an oven at 35o degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 15 minute. Then place it back in the refrigerator to cool down.
Preparation Instructions for filling:
- Take the food off the leaves of the artichokes using a spoon and then chop up the artichoke hearts.
- In a large skillet take 3 tablespoons of butter and melt it along with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Once the butter and oil are hot add the garlic and proceed to cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the chopped onion to the pan and keep cooking until the onion becomes translucent.
- Take the pan off of the heat and then add the flour and stir hard so that there are no lumps. While you stir slowly add the milk and the cream. Bring all the contents to a boil and then lets the contents/sauce thicken.
- Once it thickens add the artichoke, the parmesan cheese and season everything with salt, pepper and the nutmeg. Mix everything and once it is nice and thick remove the pan from the heat and let it cool down for approximately 15 minutes.
- Beat the eggs lightly and then add to the cooling pan and stir all the content again until it is mixed in well.
- Cut strips over the contents in the pan so that lattice if formed.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes. (cook into the cake is golden brown).
- Let the cake cool and then server.