post-title Frejoles Escabechados
This is my personal absolute favorite way to cook beans. Don’t be intimidated by the amount of ingredients that are in this recipe. It is really quite simple and definitely worth the little effort it will take to prepare.
- Servings- 6
- Preparation Time- 45-60 minutes
- 2 lbs of beans (prepare the beans by cooking them)
- 4 slices of bacon (prepare by cutting into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of garlic (prepare the garlic by grounding)
- Salt and pepper
The following ingredients will be needed to make the Pickled Sauce:
- 1lb of onion (prepare the onion by cutting julienne style)
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- A teaspoon of freshly ground garlic
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 yellow chili/peppers (prepare the peppers by deseeding and deveining and then cutting it into strips)
- Yellow chilli pepper sauce (this is to be used to taste
- 5 tablespoons of parmesan (more or less can be added according to your preference)
- ¾ cup of vinegar
The following ingredients will be needed to make the Bechamel:
- 3 cups of milk
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 6 tablespoons of flour
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the beans and when they are finished cooking remove half of them and blend them with a blender to form a puree.
- Fry the bacon in a pan adding the chili pepper, garlic and tomato paste.
- Season all of the contents in the pan and then add them along with the puree to the whole beans. Mix well.
- Melt the butter in a medium sized pan. Once the butter is melted add the flour and mix continually so it doesn’t get lumpy. Remove the contents from the heat and slowly add milk while continuing to serve.
- Once the milk is all in put over heat again and bring the contents to a boil while you are stirring. Continue to do this until the contents/sauce thickens. (Set aside when this process is complete)
- Heat oil in a skillet. Once the oil is heated add the onions you cut the grounded garlic, cumin and oregano. Season everything with ground pepper, the pepper strips and vinegar.
- Then bring all the contents in the skillet to a boil. Continue to boil for just a few minutes.
- Mix EVERYTHING together! Including the beans the sauces…you can add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top or you can allow your company to sprinkle their own parmesan cheese on top.
- This dish is commonly served with white rice.