Don’t let the main ingredient cow lung scare you away from this recipe. It is
delicious and for those culinary adventurists that like to try something new and unusual then this dish is for you.
- Servings – 6
- Preparation time
- 1lb of white hominy. (prepare the hominy by peeling it)
- 1 tablespoon of oregano (the oregano needs to be dry)
- ½ cup of oil
- 3.5 oz of annatto
- 6 tablespoons of garlic (the garlic needs to be minced)
- 1 ½ tablespoons of aji miraso. (Needs to be ground)
- 1 ½ tablespoons of aji panca (Needs to be ground)
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of cumin
- 6 tablespoons of chopped spearmint
- 3lbs of cows lung (the cows lung needs to prepared by dicing it)
- 2lbs of potatos (potato’s need to be prepared by dicing them)
- Soak the hominy in a bowl. This needs to be done over the coarse of a day so it should be done the day before you want to prepare the Chanfainita. After the hominy has soaked for a day strain it. Then over medium heat, in a saucepan cook the hominy with water. Bring the water to a boil and then cover the hominy. Cook the Hominy covered on a low simmer for 3.5 hours or until it is tender. Once it is finished set it aside for later. In a metal pan put the oregano and bring the oven to a heat of 320 Fahrenheit and cook for 5 minutes. Then set the oregano aside.
- In another pan heat half of the oil that you have. Once the oil is heated cook the annatto in it over a medium heat for five minutes. Stir while you cook. After five minutes of cooking drain the contents and place the annatto aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is heated up place the garlic in it and brown it. Then add both the panca and the mirasol, and cook on a low simmer for five minutes. Then add the achiote oil along with oregano you set aside earlier. Season everything with in the skillet with pepper, salt and cunin. Stir all the contents in the skillet and set it aside.
- In a large pot place the diced cow lungs, spearmint and diced potatoes. Cover the contents in the pot with water and cook over a medium heat until the water starts to boil. Then all the other contents to the pot and continue to cook over a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place in a pot lung, spearmint and potatoes. Cover with water and cook over medium heat until boiling. Add the above dressing. Stir and check seasoning. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve the dish with the hominy you prepared on the side.