post-title Pan con Chicharrón
Everyone loves a sandwich. Doesn’t matter what part of the world you are from. This delicious sandwich is one of the best that Peru has to offer. When you take a bite you will recognize the Asian influence on this delicious cuisine.
- Servings- 17 to 20
- Preparation Time- 1 hour
- – 6lbs of belly pork
- – 1 cup of annatto
- – 1 cup of garlic (prepare the garlic by crushing it)
- – 1lb of sugar
- – 1 cup of soy sauce
- – 2 onions (prepare the onions by cutting them in half)
- – 2lbs of salt
- – 4 liters of oil
- – ½ cup of ajinomoto
Ingredients for the sandwich sauce
- – 2lb of onion (prepare the onions by cutting all of them julienne style)
- – The juice from 8 lemons
- – ½ cup of white vinegar
- – 1 rocoto (prepare the rocoto by deveining, deseeding it and then chopping it up)
- – 1 tablespoon of oil
- – Salt (to be used to taste)
- – Cut the belly pork into medium size pieces. They should be roughly 6 inches long and 3-4 inches wide.
- – Place the cut up belly pork into a large pot.
- – Add 4 liters of water along with the garlic, ajimomoto, sugar, soy sauce, onions salt and annatto.
- – Cook over a high heat for 30-40 minutes (until the belly pork is tender). Once the pork is tender strain the ingredients.
- – In a pan heat up the oil and then proceed to fry the pieces of cut belly pork. Then remove them and cut the pork into slices.
Instructions to prepare onion sauce for sandwich.
- – Wash the onions that you cut julienne style with salt and water. Then drain them in a bowl. Mix in the juice of the lemons along with the vinegar, cilantro, and hot pepper.
- – Season all the contents with some salt and pour some oil over it.
- – Place a piece of pork on a piece of bread, cover it with onion sauce and place a piece of bread on top.