This delicioius pasta is made with a spinach and basil pesto sauce. This dish is a prime example of the influence that immigrants have had on the Peruvian culture. Peruvians have taken pasta, introduced by Italians and made it here own.
- 45 minutes
- 2lbs of spaghetti or linguini.
- ½ cup of evaporated milk
- 7-8 ounces of fresh basil
- 14-16 ounces of spinach (prepare the spinach by rinsing it)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small onion (prepare the onion by chopping it)
- 3 shelled walnuts
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 10-11 ounces of queso blanco or queso fresco or a farmers cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the noodles in boiling water as directed on the back of the box. We suggest to cook the noodles al dente style.
- In a large frying pan sauté the onion along with the minced garlic. Use a small amount of oil. Once the onions are translucent you will want to add the basil and the spinach. Continue to cook until the all the greens are wilted.
- Remove the greens place them in a blender along with the evaporated milk, walnuts and cheese. Mix all the ingredients until they are blended well. You may want to add some salt to you taste liking.
- Once the pasta is finished cooking drain it in a strainer and then add the pesto/spinach sauce.
*This dish can be served with grilled chicken. Parmesan cheese is also delicious when added on top of the pasta.